Now, usually, a flashmob is not announced, so I was a bit skeptical about this event. But curiosity (and the hope to see an actual flashmob) lured me in, so I went, along with my friend Katy, to check it out. We weren't the only ones. There was a huge crowd already gathered, waiting for the flashmob to appear and the dancing to start. Only, the flashmob didn't "appear" they were already standing in the square, waiting for the appointed time. At 9:15, on cue, they began dancing. When it ended, they applauded themselves and did it again. Then, they stood around chatting. Weird. Definitely not an authentic flashmob. Entertaining? Yes. Authentic? No.
If you want to see what a real flash mob should look like, check this out (and try not to smile--it's awesome!):
Love that you and Becca went to see the flashmob. I'd heard of them but you provided not only a definition but also documenting a nonauthentic view and then the real deal!
ReplyDeleteYeah, I love the concept of flashmobs. Improv Everywhere in New York City does some really neat ones (they call them missions) that make me smile just about every time I read about them.
ReplyDelete