Tuesday, December 22, 2009

German Market

Awhile back, I mentioned that there is a German Market here in Edinburgh. German Markets are apparently a big part of the Christmas season in German speaking sections of the world. It's a pretty ancient tradition, with the earliest markets dating back to the 1300's. One market, the Dresden, was first opened in 1434 and still runs today, attracting 1.5 to 2 million people each Christmas.



A big part of Edinburgh's Christmas is the annual German Market. This has definitely been one of my favorites. Set up right in the middle of the City Centre, amongst the art museums is a great German village. There's delicious German food, yummy German treats, lots of German beer, and beautiful German gifts. It seems quite authentic and we've enjoyed more than one meal and afternoon strolling around taking it in.


An outdoor German pub. Here you can get German beers and lagers. Or, if you want to be a bit more adventurous, you can try the mulled beer.


Home-Baked Treats! Yum.


If you've never had Nutella....you are missing out.
German meats, cheeses, and breads

The first meal we had there were amazing brats, with sauerkraut and mustard and warm, soft pretzels.
The best soft pretzels
The next time, we tried a different vendor and I can't remember what this was called. We didn't like the sandwich as much, but the potatoes and fried pickles were delicious!!

Fried pickles and potatoes. So good.

German chocolates and Christmas loaves

German candy shop!
Backerei (Bakery): Strudel, Waffles, and other delectables

Gluhwein: Mulled Wine. The traditional drink of a German Market
There is evidently a drink called Feuerzangenbowle in German. It's a mulled wine finished with flaming rum. It is made by soaking a large lump of sugar in rum, the setting it on fire and letting it melt and caramelize, while dripping into the mulled wine. We didn't try it, but will have to at some point before our time in Edinburgh ends. Well, Joe will have to. I'll just drink a sip of his.

Feurerzangenbowie or Fire Punch

After you've had your fill of such good food, you can make your way around to visit the various craft vendors.


Wood crafter

There was a vendor that had a host of small German village houses and shops. They were so bright and colorful. I really loved them.


Another vendor sold German Candle Pyramids. These may have been my favorite. They reminded me of a Swedish Angel Chime we used to have when I was a kid. It was always one of my favorite Christmas decorations.


There was also someone selling Nesting Dolls. I've always known these as Matryoshka Dolls, which are Russian. There must be some equivalent name for the German variety. I love these too. My grandmother once brought me a Matryoshka Doll from her travels to Russia and seeing these reminded me of her.
The German Market has definitely been one of my favorite parts of Edinburgh so far. I just really love it. German markets are evidently happening all over the world and are quite a big part of Christmas in some places. There are even a few happening in the States. Check out this list and if there is one near you, I would definitely suggest making the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment