Thursday, January 14, 2010

Today, in the head of Amanda Rivera

I have tons of ideas rolling around in my head for blog posts, but, well, I just can't get them out of my head an onto the "paper." So, since I don't want my thank you note to be late, I've compiled a list of my random thoughts for today:
  • I have had the same song stuck in my head since Monday morning. I kid you not. I hear it all the time and it is driving me crazy (-er).
  • Tonight I am making risotto with squash and chorizo for dinner. Yum.
  • I really like how my coworker says the word "chorizo." She adds a t between the i an z.
  • I think my boss thinks I'm preggers. I'm not. (Really, mom. I'm not).
  • All my stockings have big holes in the toes, so I've tied the ends into a knot. This is helping expand the longevity of them, but is kind of uncomfortable to walk on.
  • I haven't been shopping in 4 months.
  • I've walked the route between home and work at least 60 times. Yesterday, I got lost.
  • Our trash smells really bad. Trash day was this morning. There's no outside dumpster. Bummer.
  • I made it 4 months before acquiring a fine at the public library. That's like some kind of record. I should get a medal.
  • Today, I took the #36 (that's a bus) 4 times. Twice on the eastbound route and twice on the westbound. I saw the same man get on the bus on both of the westbound trips.
  • I see the same man every morning at 8:09am in front of St. Bernard's Well as I walk to work each morning. He is walking to work too, but in the opposite direction. He's a very distinguished looking gentleman. I haven't seen him since Christmas. I like to imagine that he is now being driven to work by his Italian chauffer so that he doesn't have to get his Armani shoes mussed in the snow.
  • Every single time I call my mom, she asks me what time it is in Edinburgh. I actually think this is very funny, but don't tell her that. (Shoot. I just realized she reads this blog. Drat. My cover is blown).
  • My mom also tells me, no matter what time I call, that it's is very late for me to be calling. With the 5 hour time difference, I have never called my parents past 5pm their time. My dad, on the other hand, once called me at 1:00 in the morning, my time.
  • I can write all the funny things I want to about my mom and dad because although faithful followers of the blog, they haven't figured out how to post a public comment. So, all my secrets are still safe!
  • That song is still going through my head.
  • I installed a tracker on this blog so I can see how many "hits" I get. I can also see where people are who are looking at the blog. Probably 80% of the hits come from cities in which I am not aware of knowing anyone. Strange (but, of course, very welcome). Readers, who are you?
  • I still haven't taken the Christmas tree down.
  • I have ideas for 10 books I'd like to write. 9 of them compose a series of books for children for CBT therapists to use in session. 1 is a book about expatriation. I have a strong suspicion I will never write these. I lack motivation.
  • I am a bilingual typist. Seriously. When I'm at work, without thinking about it, I write in British English, naturally using the British spelling of words (like behaviour). When I'm at home, I write in American English, naturally using the American spelling (like behavior). I don't even think about it. I think this is a real skill.
Thank you and good night.

11 comments:

  1. What's the song?
    How did you get lost?
    Love hearing the ramblings in your head!
    Darn the sock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is so funny I read it out loud to Scotty. My dad does the same thing - "What time is it there?" and I've been living here for 2.5 years. Scotty also says you should just bring your trash over to the dumpsters that are outside our flat. It's so close!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Amanda! You probably don't recognize Republic, do ya? :) I really enjoy reading your posts and we still are aspiring to come visit you guys one of these days.

    You should write those books--at least the kids ones. Really.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make me laugh. Has the post delivered anything to you yet?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Read some of these to Tim--the Italian driver made me laugh. :) Are there hits from San Antonio? And Pensacola? That's me... Jenn L.

    ReplyDelete
  6. we only just took our Christmas tree down (yesterday)... don't feel bad :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. X-mas tree is still up. Nice to hear that you are thriving over there. I once got lost in the old-town part of Tübingen after living there several months and having walked through a dozen times. I was infuriated with myself.

    We miss you terribly and hope we can see you in the fall, preferably on that side of the pond. Spring equinox only two weeks away.

    Grant

    ReplyDelete
  8. okay - what has been going on in the head of amanda for the last 8 days? i know more has been happening. did you take your trash for scotty/beccas?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, I'm a lurker. I lurk at lots of lifestyle and travel blogs rather than writing my own. I am married to a Scot so your blog is of particular interest to me. I'm jealous that you're living in Scotland! I'd love to try it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Reader from Pittsburgh here. I read blogs about people living in Scotland because I am hoping to do that myself someday too!! Thanks for sharing.

    Keira

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amanda! It's Lindsey Schubert. If you see someone reading from Fredericksburg, VA (my home computer) or La Plata, MD (my work computer), it's me! I need to add you to my blog roll so I remember to check your blog more often. Whenever I check it, I spend like an hour back-reading to catch up on your life on adventure :-) Tell Joe that Jason and I say hello!! Hope you guys are enjoying your work/school and SCOTLAND!!

    ReplyDelete