Monday, January 25, 2010

Just Call Him Emeril

It must be noted that when I met Joe, he subsisted on pasta, cereal, pb&j, and soup. This, in his words, equated a well balanced and healthy diet. I begged to differ. He hated onions, olives, sauerkraut, and only knew about cheddar cheese. Basically, he was oblivious to all things delicious.

I am happy to report that now, after 2.5 years together, my dear husband has expanded his food palate to include such tasty morsels as feta and goat cheese, chorizo, onions and shallots, garlic, olives, sauerkraut, and mushrooms among many others. He has also learned that fruit is good and veg too.

But that's not all.

No, my dear husband has not just learned to enjoy the delights of good food, suddenly he has become quite an enthusiastic chef. Nary a day goes by that he is not hard at work in the kitchen. In fact, spurned on by doctor's instructions not to lift anything heavy with my left hand, Joe has been doing the shopping and, subsequently, the cooking for the last couple of weeks. To quote the Brits...it's brilliant! He has also taken to baking....bread, of all things. From scratch. And, quite tasty bread too.

Joe really is a great cook. He is great at experimenting and has a really good knack for figuring out what flavors go best together. He has made some really good meals.

Last Monday, I came home from work to a warm flat and was surprised to find that Joe was home and dinner was ready! This delicious chili also gave me some warm, hearty lunches this week! I, for one, am hoping my hand never feels better so this can continue!
Joe kneading some yummy Olive and Feta Bread
Great, thick white bread

It was looking questionable there for awhile, but based on these developments....I think I'll keep him around.

(It should be further noted that someone thinks I have taken liberties with the truth in this post. However, that someone is simply in denial about his previous lack of culinary sophistication).

1 comment:

  1. Go JOE go! Nice work on the soupy. The BREAD - now that is a feat. What's the natter with your left hand? How did we talk for over an hour today and I never even asked how you were?

    ReplyDelete