So, I am LOVING my bike. Initially I loved it only for it's utility--I can get to work so much more quickly now. But, now I am actually craving bike riding, which is crazy because, I have maintained for many years now that I hate riding bikes. But, now it's one of my favorite parts of the day.
So, Saturday, after enjoying a leisurely girls' morning in the gardens (and before our last-minute BBQ), I decided to take advantage of the gorgeous afternoon and take a bike ride. A 13 mile bike ride. For fun. Me. I did that. Crazy, I know.
Anyway, Scotland has several National Cycle Network routes, so I decided to venture out onto NCN 1, towards Cramond. The first part of the cycle was on a seperate cycle path, which was nice, but I really started to enjoy it after NCN1 starts winding through various neighborhoods in the Cramond area. I love to see the houses and this was a fun way of seeing places I probably would never ordinarily see. The path then wound through some horse farms and pastures before coming to a junction with the Almond River Walkway.
I decide to cycle along the river and, with the exception of two unbelievably long and steep sets of stairs (up and down which I had to carry the bike), I was not disappointed. It was beautiful. Even with all the walkers and cyclers, it was so peaceful and a perfect blend of sensory stimulation: the sights of the flora and fauna; the sounds of the river rushing and the birds singing; the smells of the trees, flowers, and soil; and the feel of the breeze against my (by this point) sunburned skin!
At the end of the walkway (about 1.5 miles), I came to Cramond Island, which was packed full of people. Cramond Island is an island during high tide, but during low tide the water recedes so much that you can walk across to the island, which tons of people were out doing yesterday.
Out to Cramond Island
You can also play down on the beach, walk out to the water, swim in one of the small tide pools, picnic on the grass, play ball, or relax at one of the cafes. This is one of my new favorite places! I've never lived near the water and am realizing how much I love being at the shore. I particularly love the seaside here, because it is so untouched (there aren't any hotels and restaurants lining the beach). I am definitely going back.
The beach
Along the Firth of Forth
I ended the ride by biking along the Firth of Forth until Granton Harbour, at which point I did get a little lost going home (I paid a lot of attention to the directions I had looked up about how to get to Cramond, but didn't really take in the second part of the loop. Oops). The last part wasn't as nice, but it was an absolutely perfect day for a bike ride and I loved every minute ot it. I can't wait to go out again!
You're inspiring me to take a bike ride :)
ReplyDeleteSo it's safe to just go out for a 13 mile ride alone? I can't imagine doing that in Orlando. Well first, we have to drive somewhere to go on a bike ride. I think if I were to bike in my neighborhood, I would get shot.