Sunday, February 14, 2010

Time Delay

No one will be surprised to learn that we are living in a different time zone than 90+% of our readers. But, you might not have thought about all the implications of that time difference. Am such important implications, they are. Not only does it mean carefully planning phone calls so as not to call friends and family in the wee hours of the morning, while they are at work, or long after we should be in bed, but it also means that we often have to wait until the next day to view, first-hand, big entertainment and sporting events.

So, for example, on Thursday nights (in Edinburgh) when I innately want to watch Grey’s Anatomy History Channel, I can't. Because it hasn't actually aired yet. I have to wait until Friday for my fix intellectual stimulation.

Or, last week....when you were all celebrating Superbowl Sunday, at 6:30pm, the Superbowl didn't air here until 11:30pm (which is 6:30pm on the East Coast). While I went to bed (seriously, nothing is that interesting to start watching at 11:30pm), Joe and some friends actually watched the game, live (on the TV) until the wee hours of the morning. Yea, he was tired the next day.

Or, right now. The Olympic figure skating is set to occur today at 4:30pm, PST....which is 12:30AM tomorrow in Edinburgh (weird). So, I can't watch it. I'll have to wait until tomorrow evening when I get home from work.

This really isn't that big of a deal...but, it does mean that you have to be careful not to find out the outcome...afterall, I don't watch Grey's until after it airs and by that point the internet is full of episode recaps. And, if you aren't crazy and don't stay up until the wee hours watching sporting events live, the score will be widely known before you ever get to tune in. Or course, this really isn't a problem for someone who like to read the last page of a book first (of course, I don't actually know anyone like that. Certainly, I wouldn't do such a thing)....

1 comment:

  1. Totally understand, takes some planning and getting used to for sure. I think now that I am so used to watching shows online or downloaded that it may be weird or hard to go back the States and get to watch them in real time and have to sit through commercials!!! Dear me!
    -Katie

    ReplyDelete