So, in this day before Christmas, I thought I would share some of my most favorite Christmas songs with you. My all time favorite song is "O Holy Night." This may have something to do with an old Hallmark Christmas commercial (that I may have had on a VHS tape at one point in my life and that may have brought me to tears every time I saw it), but that's really another story. I also really love the song "I'll be home for Christmas" which is especially pertinent this year and another one that makes me tear up (why do Christmas songs make me cry?). Then of course, there's White Christmas and The Most Wonderful Time of the Year. Oh, and then there's Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas and The Christmas Song and....oh so many others.
Recently, I discovered this gem:
Diverging a bit from my usual genre, I do have 2 other very special favorite Christmas songs.
This one, which I stumbled upon at work one year and it quickly became an annual tradition in our office. My boss, and mentor, particularly enjoyed it.
BUT, the most special Christmas song ever (to me), is this one, which my sister wrote in honor of Joe's first Christmas with family. It was when we were dating and was going to meet my family for the first time (a week with my family in Colorado for Christmas--he was very brave!). She sent this song along to us (and the rest of the family) to, um, welcome him.
Joe's Song
On the first day of Christmas, my sister said to me,
Bringing home the doc of theology.
On the second day of Christmas, my sister said to me,
What am I -- flippin' craaaaaaaa-zy?
On the third day of Christmas, my sister said to me,
Do you know exactly who makes up the Schmitt family?
On the fourth day of Christmas, my sister said to me,
Three engineers, two atheists, and one divorce lawyer-to-be.
On the fifth day of Christmas, my sister said to me,
Two giant hounds, and a theatrical actress in training.
On the sixth day of Christmas, my sister said to me,
Oh, it's ok. The doc won't mind. He's already dating me.
On the seventh day of Christmas, my sister said to me,
By the end of this holiday, do you really think that will any longer be?
On the eighth day of Christmas, my sister said to me,
Remember there's mom and dad, Vic and Ron--- you three, oh, and then there's me.
On the ninth day of Christmas, my sister said to me,
That's ok, he's forgiving, he's the doc of theology.
On the tenth day of Christmas, my sister said to me,
I guess I'll find out if he REALLY loves me.
On the eleventh day of Christmas, my sister said to me,
If Ron and Mark took you and Vic, then surely Joe can handle this too.
On the twelfth day of Christmas, my sister said to me,
Oh well, that's it, it's Christmas with the Schmitt family.
Isn't is
And now I'd like to know, what is your favorite Christmas song?
my favorite two christmas songs are probably "I saw mommy kissing santa claus" and "O Holy Night". The first because my first memory of it was grandma playing it on the organ and I thought it was so wrong b/c I didn't realize how Santa Claus was! The second because I always get the vision of shepherds in the cold night seeing a host of angels.
ReplyDeletei loved this post and enjoyed both of the youtube videos...and Joe's song your sister wrote!
hope things are going well for you on christmas eve in scotland!