
Here is Edinburgh, there is a
Farmer's Market in heart of the city on a path overlooked by the Castle. It's a smaller market than some in the US (Soulard in St. Louis, Pike Place in Seattle) but it is really fun and a great sampling of the foods and products that are produced locally here. As far as I can tell from my two trips, everything at the market is organic and grown and/or produced locally. The sights and smells (and tastes) and fantastic and it is a really lovely way to start a Saturday morning.


At the market, you can find a whole host of fruit and veg, like these really yummy raspberries:

And, products made from them, like this incredible berry jam:

Lots of vendors sell cheese. This one is fresh braided mozarella .

This vendor also does a "veg delivery" in which you pay a certain amount weekly and a box of fresh produce is delivered to your door each week. You don't know what you'll get, but judging by their stand, you won't be disappointed.

These tomatoes smelled great. Really fresh.


You can also pick up something from the most important food group--chocolate.

I think this was wine and maybe some kind of sparkling fruit drink.

Handmade soaps
(just noticed the sign...wonder what the rest of it says)

Several vendors prepare foods there for you to purchase and eat straight-away.

There are also demonstrations some weeks by local chefs. My favorite part is that many of the vendors let you sample items at their stands, so you can look around and taste all sorts of delicious foods while you shop. The tasting is dangerous though, because it tempts you to buy all sorts of things. This week I was lured into purchasing a container of indescribable lemon custard (freshly made the day before) after tasting some. Then, of course, I had to buy some raspberries to go with it....is it Saturday again yet?
I believe I would like to go to the farmer’s market straightaway.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Mom