Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Open Doors Day 1

This past Saturday and Sunday, we enjoyed exploring various Edinburgh spots with some other New College couples. It was Doors Open Edinburgh, during which various Edinburgh attractions open their doors for free to interested visitors. After a trip to the local farmer's market (at the base of the Edinburgh Castle), we visited 4 really cool places:

Drumsheugh Baths: Edinburgh's oldest swimming club (founded in 1882).Unfortunately , I didn't take any pictures of it.

St. Bernard's Well: A local mineral spring that was "discovered" back in the 1700s. It is just about a quarter-mile from our flat and is right along the Water of Leith, a very picturesque river that runs through our neighborhood.

Inside, the pump room is decorated in a beautiful mosaic. Unfortunately, it was a bit dark for my camera to get a good shot.

Calton Hill: On one end of the city, Calton Hill is home to an unfinished monument and to Nelson Tower. A climb of 143 steps to the top of the tower is rewarded by some amazing views:

Ruins of a National Monument, began in 1822 and never finished

Joe, Shawn, and Aletheia (they didn't make the climb to the top of the tower)
Holyrood Palace (from top of Nelson Tower)
Views of the Firth of Forth, from the hike up to the top of Calton Hill

John Knox's House: John Knox (a leader of the Protestant Reformation) lived here for a few short months before his death. Again, no pictures. I really need to get better about this...

2 comments:

  1. I got this one just fine. Lots of interesting places. I can not wait to see all this stuff. I remember doing these kinds of things on weekends on business trips to Europe. I remember the swiming pools too except in Austria they are called baths.

    Love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep them coming. The pictures are beautiful. Delighted that you are so enjoying yourself.

    Love and miss you.
    Grampa Jerry

    ReplyDelete